Year-end & transparency - councils under £25,000
This session introduces the Annual Return and the stages of the audit process, enabling you to complete all the relevant steps correctly.
• Closing the accounts
• Exemption from external audit
• Internal audit
• Reviewing internal control
• The Annual Return
• Electors rights
• Transparency and publication requirements
By the end of this session you will:
• Be able to identify the steps needed as part of the year-end process
• Understand how to close the council's accounts
• Understand how to complete the Annual Return
• Be able to correctly allow the exercise of electors' rights
• Be able to identify the information a small council must publish
Who should attend
For officers who want to understand how to prepare their council's Annual Governance & Accountability Return and comply with the requirements of the audit process.
This course is specifically aimed at councils with receipts and payment accounts under £25,000.
There are alternative sessions for:
Councils over £25,000
Councils that prepare Income and Expenditure accounts
£33+VAT per person (member)
£66+VAT per person (non-member)
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk and an accountant with 30 years' experience in public and voluntary sector finance. He now specialises in delivering training and advice on VAT and finance matters for the local council sector.
Please note: the course is open to all county associations and will therefore have clerks and councillors not from Northamptonshire in attendance. We hope that this will allow for this course to be delivered more often and throughout the year.
21 March 2023